Days 4 - 6

Monday, March 9, 2015

| Day 4 |

"Have you seen the view from my office?"



I don't know that I have ever made it from coast to coast without plane troubles, but Friday, not only did my flights and connections go off without a hitch, but I also met the World's Friendliest Flight Attendant.
"Some people say I'm too chipper to be here. I say there's no such thing."


He then proceeded to make balloon animals for every child on the plane, including the two grown men across the aisle.
I was also super fortunate to not miss a single connection and make it to the West Coast in a single piece. I am lucky to have the support and love of not only my family, but also from kind friends who continually go out of their way to help us out.

| Day 5 |

"Together is a wonderful place to be."

I got to spend this weekend visiting my dad. I hadn't seen him since June, so needless to say, I cried a little. I got to spend some alone time with him and be treated like an adult and talk about my feelings, about love of life, and what I wanted to study and where I wanted to study abroad and how I can't wait to get back to frisbee and how much I love the girls I've met through Pi Phi. 
It was the happiest day.
When I talk to my dad, I understand myself so much more than I would otherwise. I understand how I formulate logic, and why I prioritize the things that I do, and that he and I will always try to find solutions to problems, even if there aren't any sensible ones. 

| Day 6 |

"I dream of a world where little girls are told they are beautiful and powerful and have value and can achieve their valid and precious dreams." –Sabrina Cabezas



Happy International Women's Day. This day makes me happy for a multitude of reasons. For example, if you know anything about me, you know that I want to revolutionize global education standard, so that girls in third-world countries can have equitable education to that of their male counterparts. (See more here.)
Throwback to Fonteyn Preschool in Swaziland, Summer 2014.

I was so inspired by all of the attention the day got all over social media, at all levels of recognition.




Without meaning for the two to correlate, I also indulged in reading Queen Fey’s autobiography. (I’m pretty sure my uncontrollable giggling was all too noticeable to everyone sitting around me on the plane.)
"This is what I tell young women who ask me for career advice. People are going to try to trick you... Don't be fooled. You're not in competition with other women. You're in competition with everyone. Also, I encourage them to always wear a bra. Even if you don't think you need it just...you know what? You're never going to regret it." -Tina Fey
Last night when the flight attendant was telling us about our crew, she had to clarify that our pilot was a woman. Here’s to today, a day that helps celebrate the half of the population that constantly needs the female pronoun antecedent to clarify that we are capable of certain professions. May these antecedents become irrelevant as both young men and women pursue their dreams to their full potential.


Happily yours,

Sabrina

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS