Days 7 - 12: Home Sweet Home

Saturday, March 14, 2015

[the one where I explore the idea of being "home"]

| Day 7 |

"Home is wherever I'm with you."

I got to spend my first day home reconnecting with the family I have hardly seen since last June. Between busy summer schedules and going away to school and a winter break consumed with recovering from surgery, we haven't really had any down time together. 
Hey granny, you so fine.
Honestly so blessed to come from a line of determined, resilient women. I have never seen someone, less than a week out of surgery, as chipper as my grandmother. Also an incredible woman, is my mother, featured later in this post.
"I don't I don't know what Bertucci's is, but I do know that 'Gucci from the heels up' means you're pretty good to go."
ATTN WORLD: This is my little brother who just turned SIXTEEN (!!??) and has recently vamped up his car stereo, all by himseeellllfffff. What a stud. What a champ. I'm so lucky to call myself his sister. He thinks he's too cool for me sometimes, but that's fine by me because, look at him -- he basically is.

| Day 8 |

"She's deep in the heart of the Golden West // Home means Nevada to me."

Look at those majestic things. So close. So beautiful.
What I've missed the most about being home, other than family of course, are the mountains. Growing up, I went hiking with my school, skiing with friends, and to the lake to celebrate the last day of school. Even though I didn't go up them, that day, just their presence was comforting.
Howdy, partner.
I recognize that this isn't the best quality picture of a horse ever, but it was the best I could do... from a hospital parking lot. Even though I know there are horses in Virginia, I can't think of a single time that I've seen one casually hanging out in a pasture. In Reno, they're everywhere. And they're beautiful.


| Day 9 |

"Home is the starting place of loves, hopes, and dreams."



süp and this sup-er cutie pie.
Oh Midtown and your refined eateries, you are a blessing to the world. And my lil Sarah Hewitt (!!), what a blessing you are to ME!! I can't believe Sarah's already a senior making big plans to go to college (CONGRATS ON YOUR FIRST OF MANY ACCEPTANCE LETTERS, MY LOVE). She is smart, kind, determined, global-minded, and just all around awesome. I had the awesome opportunity of getting to hear all about her life over some delicious tomato bisque. I am so excited to see what the future has in store for her!!
It hasn't started blooming in Virginia yet, so it was nice to see the first signs of spring in Reno.
Reno's foliage is nice. Different from Virginia's, but nice nonetheless. 

| Day 10 |

"They say home is where your heart is set in stone."



Katie with a K, but Catherine with a C.
One of the most important things that college has taught me is which friends are worth holding on to. Catching up with Katie was definitely one of the highlights of my week, and she reminded me what true friendship looks like. Katie is patient, honest, humble, hardworking, and loving -- everything you could ask for in a friend. She inspires me and reminds me of the things that I can be grateful for.


"I love sushi, but it needs a chaser – like chocolate caaaaakkeeee." - My mother
One of my favorite things about Reno is the really reasonably-priced sushi, and one of my favorite places is Sushi Pier. I went with my brother (who was protesting that this picture was being taken) and mom (who is trying to look disinterested, but is loving the camera attention), and we ordered some totally new things (which were delicious). I've yet to have an experience at Sushi Pier where there isn't a strange character involved, and this night was no exception. It's these little things that make life more interesting.

| Day 11 |

"Home means the hills // Home means the sage and the pine."

Lake Tahoe is the Holy Grail for outdoor enthusiasts. Hiking, skiing, watersports -- what more could you ask for?! It's been ranked as one of the 29 Surreal Places In America You Need To Visit Before You Die and is among the Top 27 Places In The U.S. That Foreigners Are Craziest About Visiting. Tahoe has a special place in my heart because of all of the memories I made here as I grew up, so it was really nice to take a day trip up to see it on my last day in town. 


LOOK AT THE BEAUTY.

"I stand on mountain tops believing that avalanches will teach me to let go."
Sand Harbor, Lake Tahoe
Taho(m)e
I've missed the mountains. I've missed the natural beauty that this basin is rich in. I know that I will come back with my children to show them this beautiful place, but I am in no hurry to come back and live here. For now, I think I am much happier on the East Coast, with all the new adventures that it has to offer. 

| Day 12 |

"I've had my run // Baby, I'm done // I gotta go home."

As much as I have loved being back with my family, and getting to visit Tahoe and the sights I grew up with, it's time to go back to Richmond and all of its treasures. Since today is Pi Day (3/14/15), I'm celebrating by being happy I'm a Pi Phi. 


Pledge Class on Bid Day
Life is a lodge and my big is the dopeness.
Being in Reno has made me really think about the idea of "home," and what that means in my life. In the middle of a conversation with my mom I would reference Richmond as "home," but later in the same conversation I would use the term to mean the house I lived in before college. Does this mean that "home" is relative? Is a dorm room "home"? Can "home," as Edward Sharpe's song insinuates, be found in / with a person instead of a physical location? Is it in the traits that you grew up with (like Tahoe and the mountains)? Or is home where you feel at peace despite the distractions and surroundings? I don't claim to have any answers, all I know is that there's no place like home.




Happily yours,

Sabrina

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS